Henrietta Riddell Fish 1856 - 1925
The Yosemite Chapel was originally built in the Lower Old Village in Yosemite Valley at the base of the Four Mile Trail and near the ferry crossing. It was first in use in 1879. The building to the right was probably the schoolhouse according to historians. Later, this area of commercial establishments went out of use as activity concentrated further up the valley. In 1901 the Chapel was moved to a new location where it is today, closer to a broad view of Halfdome, which is seen only slightly around the corner in this painting from across the Merced River. On the left side of the river this may be a front view of the Three Brothers, which in Indian lore were named as mountains leapfrogging over each other.
Because the Chapel and buildings around it show lights and activity, this painting probably substantially predates the 1901 relocation of the Chapel, while the area later used as the Upper Old Village was not very accessible.
|Old Yosemite Chapel
Oil on canvas, 14 x 24