Homepage | Current Exhibit | Archives | Bodega Bay Heritage Gallery Monthly
California / American School | Recent Acquisitions | Printbin | Also Available | Artist Friends | Previously Offered
Button Our Artists Button A-B Button C-D Button E-G Button H-He
Button Hi-J Button K-M Button N-P Button Q-S Button T-Z
707-875-2911
Visit the gallery
Frederick Stymetz Lamb painting a mural Painting by Chester Loomis
Frederick Stymetz Lamb
on ladder painting a mural.
Painting by Chester Loomis
Frederick
Stymetz Lamb
1863 - 1928
Henry Stymetz Lamb Mountain and Evergreens
Mt. Tam / San Quentin
Frederick Stymetz Lamb Berkeley Hills Midsized Thumbnail
The Bay from the Berkeley Hills
Frederick Stymetz Lamb Hillside Path Midsized Thumbnail
Hillside Path
Frederick Stymetz Lamb at easel
Frederick Stymetz Lamb
at easel painting plein air

At age 59, famed east coast artist Frederick Stymetz Lamb moved to the Bay Area in 1922 for health reasons. He settled into an active artistic life in the Berkeley Hills where he maintained a studio in a small A-frame overlooking the bay. During summers, Frederick loved to visit the Mendocino Coast and stayed in A - framed tents along the Noyo River.

Bodega Bay Heritage Gallery | 1785 Coast Highway One, PO Box 325 Bodega Bay, CA 94923 | 707-875-2911 | Email Us
William Penn Peace Movement Pennsylvania Frederick Stymetz Lamb Brooklyn Musuem of Art
"William Penn, Peace Movement, Pennsylvania" 1905
The Brooklyn Musuem of Art

He first came to California in the early 1890's, when he accepted a commission from Mrs. Jane Stanford to design and create stained glass windows for the Stanford University Chapel. Mrs. Stanford believed Frederick Stymetz Lamb "to be more interested in the ecclesiastical rather than the commercial aspect of the work.

"Frederick was well suited for this commission. He was born in 1863 into a rich artistic heritage.

From the April 2010
Newsletter, (click photo)


Stanford's Memorial Church,
The Stained Glass Windows
of the Nave created by
Frederick Stymetz Lamb

His father was Joseph Lamb, who along with his Uncle Richard Lamb began J & R Lamb Studios in 1857. Frederick's older brother, Charles Rollison Lamb would eventually run the company while Frederick became its head of design and supervised the firm's team of skilled craftsman. In time, the company grew to become America's oldest continuously-run decorative arts firm, well known for its stained glass windows and mosaics.

Although no longer owned by the Lamb family, J & R Lamb Studios still thrives today. Building upon the best of European craftsmanship and tradition, Richard and Joseph Lamb successfully transplanted their art in the new world, designing and creating windows for churches, temples, homes, government buildings and the halls of academia.

Young Frederick's art training began early on as he learned much while growing up in the family business. He continued his art training at the Art Student's League (ASL) in New York where he studied with William Sartain and James Caroll Beckwith, and later at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris with Lefebvre and Boulanger.

Frederick Stymetz Lamb Abraham Lincoln Plymouth Church Brooklyn NY


After returning to New York, he was known as a muralist and stained-glass designer, and was involved in Architectural preservation. He exhibited his works at the World's Columbian Expo in Chicago in 1893, received a gold medal at the Atlanta Expo of 1895, and won a medal at the Paris Expo in 1900. He designed windows in the Church of the Messiah in New York and Plymouth Church in Brooklyn.

During a visit to the Mendocino coast in 1928, Frederick Stymentz Lamb died. His son memorialized his father's passing by donating one of his works, "William Penn, Peace Movement, Pennsylvania" to the Brooklyn Museum of Art.

Brooklyn's Plymouth Church is proud of its famed windows.

On their website
they write,

"The stained glass windows of Plymouth Church are widely recognized as artistic treasures. The prominent artist Frederick Stymetz Lamb designed, and his brothers of the J. and R. Lamb Studios in Greenwich Village built the nineteen major windows of the Sanctuary, and installed between 1907 and 1909. As planned by then-minister Newell Dwight Hillis, they are unusual in depicting historical, not religious, subjects, taking as their theme the influence of Puritanism (the parent of Congregationalism) on the growth of liberty in the United States-personal liberty, religious liberty and political liberty."